Stanley Low Angle Block Plane



I just got this plane last week and put it through it’s paces. One thing I noticed right away is that thick toe!

In the jointer review, I complained about the uncomfortable tote, but for some reason, I don’t notice it as much with the jack. I think this may partly be due to the weight, or maybe the jack is better balanced? I am not sure.

What I am sure about is that this plane is awesome. It is great as a shooting board plane. I also have a blade to use it as a smoother, and another blade with more camber as a jack. Swapping blades is very quick and easy. Only problem I have is that adjusting the blade is a little hard to do. Sometimes, when I move the blade in or out, the blade also moves laterally. I also have this problem with the jointer, but it’s not too bad of a problem. Switching blades and adjusting it is still faster with this plane over a traditional bevel down plane (at least for me).

If I can only have one plane, this would definitely be it. I like this plane a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment