Kreg Deck Jig review




I bought this product because I thought it would improve the look of the pool deck I am building and although I am not finished yet I think it has. The whole purpose of the jig is too allow the user to screw down decking without showing the screw and that’s exactly what it did.

My decking is made from 5/4 pressure treated boards. There are 10 joists each spaced 16 on centers and there are 2 screws per joist which gives 20 screws per board. To boards feel as if the are held down well. I was not happy with many of my decking boards and many were twisted and cupped. It made keeping even spacing hard. You can actually see in the picture under my dogs left paw that there is one board which has almost no gap on the left the a huge gap on the right. I am going to change that board before I am finished. It was perfectly strait for 10’ then had a huge twist in the last 2’. This was the part that made me nervous. Having the boards screwed from the sides I was worried that when I forced a board into place I would get cracking and screw heads popping out but luckily I did not. I should have returned some boards but the distance to the store and the fact the wood was delivered… by the time I paid for delivery for 3 or 4 boards it is the same price and buying new boards myself.

I think it made a great finish and I am totally happy with the result. Why not 5 stars then, because it is slow. If you are thinking about taking contracts with this tool… don’t. I could have finished my decking in 1/3 the time by just driving the screws through the top. If you are a contractor and time is money and you want to secure the decking so the screws don’t show then do something else. There are expensive nail guns that do this and there are other systems which are probably faster. The money spent on the expensive tool will be made back in time saved shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment