Dewalt DWV012 Shop Vac Review




How I Use Dust Collection In My Shop
I use a dust collector, as well as two shop vaccums for dust collection. One is a “6.5 hp” Ridgid that stays at the router table, and disconnects easily for shop cleanup. The other one is a small Ridgid vac dedicated to the miter saw. These vacs seem to do their job, and the howling noise they make doesn’t bother me much because the tools they are attached to are just as loud. Furthermore, the miter saw and router table tend to be used for short periods of time.
The problem I had was collecting dust from the random orbit sander, biscuit joiner, handheld router, and dovetail jig. These tools tend to be used for longer periods of time, and the howling of the shop vac really became tiresome. Additionally I was not impressed with the seal between the motor housing and canister on most standard shop vacs.
The Dewalt Extractor
I upgraded to this unit primarily for the noise reduction and better filtration. The Dewalt measured 59-61 db at 3 feet away. This is 10-12 db less than by 6.5 hp Ridgid vac at the same distance. This is with a non-calibrated meter, so take the values with a grain of salt, but the Ridgid seemed to be twice as loud as the Dewalt. I really couldn’t hear the vacuum motor over a 3 amp ROS, but I could hear the suction noise through the small 8-hole sanding discs.
The motor is variable speed, so if you don’t need maximum suction you can turn it down a bit. The variable speed is also helpful if you are running a high amp tool with the extractor, so you won’t trip a breaker. A tool is plugged into the vac, and when the tool is turned on the vac automatically turns on.
The filters are HEPA rated, and there is a positive locking seal between the motor housing and canister. The filters thread into place, and also form a secure seal. Finally the filters are self cleaning with a reverse puff of air every 30 seconds or so. The filter cleaning feature is barely audible over a typical tool.
The only negative comments I have are in regards to the hose. Dewalt went with a quick-connect style 1-1/4” I.D. reverse threaded hose. The hose itself is fine, but the fittings are neither quick nor easy! The hose connects to the vacuum via a quick connect, which actually works just fine. It swivels to prevent kinks, and locks firmly in place. However the tool end of the factory Dewalt hose is lousy. What comes with the extractor won’t actually fit any tools, you need an adapter. So I purchased several Dewalt adapters to get started, and I found them bulky and awkward to use. The solution was a #24 adapter from Mr. Nozzle. It reverse threads directly to the Dewalt hose, and fits my Dewalt ROS, Biscuit Joiner, 618 router, and more (1-1/2” tool-end I.D.)
Great tool after a simple nozzle swap.
Learn more here - DEWALT DWV012 10-Gallon Dust Extractor with Automatic Filter

No comments:

Post a Comment