Chisel Review - New Narex 4 Piece Set.


 

I was in the market for a proper set of bench chisels. In recent years, whenever I have made the forty minute drive to visit the local Woodcraft store, I have found myself looking overlong at the Irwin’s or the Stanley Sweetheart socket chisels. I have often considered the fact that neither of these sets were outside of my budget but neither set really seemed sufficiently superior to the chisels that I already had. Naturally I am proud of Stanley for finding their way out of the bench chisel dark ages but, however nice, these chisels were not right for my needs.

The Irwin’s are a decent tool and they come closer to being the bench chisel I was after, but the fit and finish is not always the best, the handles are too “plasticky”, and, of course, I am mad at Irwin for reducing “Marples” to a marketing scheme. Still shopping, I spent hours online, looking at vintage sets on ebay, Veritus, Lee Neilson, Two Cherries, Crown, Ashley Iles, and others, but nothing really seemed right until I discovered the Narex chisels that are for sale on the Lee Valley website, Amazon, EBay, Highland Woodworking, and a few other outlets online. I researched the Narex chisels, read all about the company, and discussed them with friends.

Narex Bystrice has an interesting history and offers a nice selection of quality woodworking hand tools and screwdrivers. One of my brothers had once seen an older version of the Narex bevel edge chisels for sale at a local retailer and he thought that they had seemed like a decent tool. Encouraged, I read a good number of online reviews from regular people, well known master craftsmen, and from reputable publications.

Finally, I decided to risk my money. I ordered the New Narex set and haven't been happier.

  New Narex (Made in Czech Republic) Premium 4 pc set 6 (1/4), 12 (1/2), 20 (3/4) , 26 (1) mm Chisels w/ Hornbeam Handles, Model: 863201, Tools & Outdoor Store

I have used the 1-1/4 inch chisel extensively over the last few weeks as I worked with cherry and honey locust. Thus far, I have not needed to sharpen the tool again. It has held its edge.

I honestly do not know how these tools measure up to the $400.00 to $1000.00 chisel sets I see for sale, but they are as good as any chisel I own and better than most. They are certainly a decent tool for the price and having used them, I would pay double without thinking twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment